Friday, November 21, 2014

A spruce in a pot: how to grow the Christmas tree indoor

I often think about what can happen if each of us cut a spruce for Christmas. I imagine a terrible spectacle. It's a waste area instead of a coniferous forest. Therefore I've refused to decorate the felled Christmas tree. The author of this blog has cultivated a conifer indoor. Today I'm going to tell you about how to grow a spruce in a pot.

 
A Dwarf Alberta Spruce (Picea glauca Conica)

At our houses we can cultivate not only a spruce. You may choose a pine or even a stone pine, for example. However I've grown a Dwarf Alberta Spruce (Picea glauca Conica). It's an amazing plant for a small space because this evergreen tree has a small size. But we'll discuss about it later.

First of all I would like to enumerate reasons why we need to cultivate a conifer indoor


A Christmas tree in a pot
1. We protect Nature and don't cut trees for our amusement.

2. Conifers have a wonderful smell.

3. These plants clean air, as you know.

4. You should not sweep daily because the trees don't shed needles as opposed to felled conifers.

5. Your Christmas Day will be unforgettable, thanks to natural Christmas tree in a pot.

A Christmas tree care. A spruce is not a houseplant. And Picea glauca Conica is not an indoor plant too. These green friends prefer freedom. However we can cultivate conifers in flats a short while. 

Experts allow to locate the Christmas tree in a cool room in winter. We even may accommodate it in a warm living room and decorate the plant for Christmas. We must spray it as often as possible because the plant is afraid of dry air. Of course, we can not use candles and electric garlands in the capacity of decorations. However scent of natural spruce is better than these items.


A spruce in a pot
After the Holiday we should locate the tree in a cool room again. (I've cultivated my green queen on the recessed balcony). A spruce needs regular watering. It prefers diffused light. Experts recommend to plant out  this tree outdoor in spring

Some of plant lovers grow small spruces in pots at gardens or at verandas in spring and summer. In cool season they locate the trees indoor.


My own experience of spruces cultivation. I gave my first spruce to a gardener 2 years ago. The plant lives in a garden. However my second Christmas tree doesn't want to grow outdoor. In last spring I transplanted it in a new pot. I used a special soil for conifers.

My coniferous queen
My beautiful Picea glauca Conica feels fine at my glazed loggia even in summer. It bears heat and bright light. The tree breathes fresh air because I open the window often. Also I water the conifer daily. 

Why this outdoor plant feels fine at the flat? I don't know. But I like this tree. Of course, I'm going to decorate my Dwarf Alberta Spruce on Christmas eve.



Have you cultivated a conifer indoor? 


   

4 comments:

  1. Hi to all, how is the whole thing, I think every one is getting more from this website, and your views
    are nice designed for new people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering if I can keep my Dwarf Alberta Spruce alive all winter inside a somewhat cooler room than the rest of the house, with diffused south sunlight. The plant is tiny, only about a foot tall. Im hoping to keep it alive until Spring, and transplant to a bigger pot and put outside facing the north. Any tips would be helpful. Thank you fir your blog!

    ReplyDelete