Sunday, November 23, 2014

How to root a vanilla orchid: Let's grow Vanilla planifolia from cuttings

Vanilla planifolia (a vanilla orchid) is an amazing tropical vine with big fragrant flowers. We can grow this gorgeous plant indoor. Even we can get vanilla gardens on our windowsills. Vanilla planifolia propagate from cuttings. Today I'm going to tell you about how to root a vanilla orchid.

A Vanilla planifolia variegata's cutting with a root. It's ready for planting.

Experts recommend to root the plant in a soil. We should make a mini hothouse and locate a green friend there. But this way isn't easy for amateurs. Unfortunately, we can make a mistake and a cutting will rot. However one of plant lovers told me about a simple method of a vanilla orchid rooting. It's rooting in vessel of water. In this case you need water, a glass and patience.

1. Take a glass of boiled water and deep a cutting there. (You may use even a plastic glass). Attention!  Only a part of the stem can be in the fluid. The leaves should not be in water or else a vanilla orchid may rot. 

Vanilla planifolia variegata


2. Locate it at a light place.

3. Add water to the glass from time to time.

4. Wait for a root. 

A root doesn't rot.

That's all!

It's very easy, indeed.

When a root grows to 1,5-2 inches (4-5 centimeters) you may plant out the orchid. My consultant recommends to use coco coir.

P.S. I got my small vanilla orchid's cutting 3 months ago. (It is lovely Vanilla planifolia variegata with variegated leaves). The plant had no roots. I've kept my "phyto-pet" in a plastic glass of water. True, the top became black in the month before last. 


I cut a bad part of stem. Lately my Vanilla planifolia variegata feels fine. The cutting has a good "white tail" and ready for planting.

14 comments:

  1. How have the vanilla vines turned out now? did your vine successfully root after you got it to root in water, then into soil? sometimes moving to soil is harder than rooting in just coco coir directly I thought?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for your question. My vanilla grew successfully in Summer. But in November it was very cool in my apartment (((( that's why I gave the plant one of florists )))

      Delete
  2. Hi there, I wohld like to subscribe for this web site to get ewest updates, so where can i do it please help out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It's very pleasant for me. The subscribe form is to the right (in web-version of the blog).

      Delete
  3. For how many days should I leave the cuttings in water please. I live in Mauritius and it's hot actually. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had mine in water for 3 or 4 years now. I have a few. They all have great roots but nothing else changed. Except for 1! It just started getting new growth! I have vanilla bean orchid cutting for years and thus is the first time I have ever seen growth beyond roots. Even the roots take years though.

      Delete
  4. Where can I find a vanilla bean orchid or cutting? I'm having a hard time finding one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On Amazon there is a wonderful grower 9greenbox

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Do not purchase from someone named Chris!

      Delete
  6. Does the cutting have to sit out for a day to callus or can I put the cutting straight into a glass of water for propagation?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a vanilla orchid with no notes but the roots are healthy can I can I soak the roots in water to get more roots

    ReplyDelete