Saturday, February 7, 2015

A myrtle care: How to grow Myrtus communis at home

Today I'm going to tell you about how to grow Myrtus communis (a Common myrtle) indoor. Plant lovers say that growing of a this tree is difficult. I agree with this statement. Nevertheless I have been cultivating the houseplant for 4 years! I want to betray you the secret: a myrtle care depends on a season.


A Common myrtle (Myrtus communis)

  In Spring

Spring is a good time for the green person. As a rule, in this season a myrtle doesn't give a plant grower a lot of trouble because the houseplant gets everything required. Spring pampers our green pet by the caressing sun, humid air and warm days without oppressive heat.


My lovely myrtle tree

We should locate a myrtle at a light place and water the plant when the topsoil dries out. (I water my myrtle daily in a warm season). Also we have to protect our green friend from plant pests.The enemies of Myrtus communis are red spiders, thrips, aphids, coccids, tortoise scales etc.


! In Spring we often transplant our "phytopets". Please, transplant a Common myrtle only by a transposition method because this houseplant has a fragile root system.

In Summer

A myrtle in Summer
A myrtle needs bright light all year round. However if the plant grows on a sunny windowsill in summertime this green person often suffers from the heat. This luxuriant tree may shed the leaves of the overheat.

 ! A common myrtle isn't deciduous houseplant. If our green pet sheds the leaves we have to rescue the tree as soon as possible.



If you cultivate the plant indoor I recommend you to shade the plant in hot days. You may use a tulle, a jalousie, another gadgets for shading. They are able to protect a myrtle from overheat. Also we should spray the plant regularly. 

In addition we may locate a Common myrtle in a garden or on a veranda. In Summer this plant grows outdoor perfectly well.

In Fall

A Common myrtle in Fall
A myrtle tree fells fine on a windowsill in Fall. In September and October care of this plant is the same as in Spring. However in November we have to locate Myrtus communis in a cool room. This green person is afraid of dry air. Our green pet may die near a radiator in a cool season.

! This houseplant bears pruning. We may prune a Common myrtle even in Autumn. Usually I clip my myrtle tree in Spring and in Fall

A lot of plant lovers like topiary gardens of myrtles on the windowsills. However I prefer "artistic confusion" in a pot. I prune my Common myrtle only for regulation of its size.

In Winter

Myrtus communis in Winter
This green friend needs cool wintering. We should locate a Common myrtle in a room with temperature 41-44,6 degrees Fahrenheit (5-7 degrees Celsius). In addition we have to reduce frequency of watering. 

If you decide to grow your tree in a warm room, place it far from radiators. You have to spay a myrtle frequently and water the plant daily in this case.




Let's sum up:

In a warm season a Common myrtle needs:

- light place (with shading in the hot days),
- room temperature (if the tree grows indoor),
- regular watering and spraying,
- fertilizing twice a month,
- plant pests protection,
- location outdoor (if it's possible).



In a cool season Myrtus communis requires:

- light place,
- cool temperature,
- diminished frequency of watering.
- draught protection.
 

10 comments:

  1. that was a very helpful article. How we can regrow or regenerate a Myrtus please?
    thank you very much: Dara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! What happened with your myrtle?

      Delete
  2. Hello! I bought a myrtle plant to keep indoors and unfortunately it was left to dry for a few days (it was sent to me). A lot of the leaves have fallen off but I am sure it is still alive! Any tips on bringing it back? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your question. Unfortunately it's so difficult. However don't worry about it. You can grow a new plant!

      Delete
    2. This is what happened to me too - I was off work sick and my sweet plant was neglected for about a week and I cam back and all her leaves are dry falling off the older tall stems .. there a a few new happy green shoots with leaves = at the base (maybe 2-3 inches) I suck at plants but my instinct was to cut back all the dead stuff so I did - i almost cried as this plant was given to my by my best friends German mom (im 48 and her mom is 85) and I love this little plant so much and I hope she will come back to life - I promise to leave her in better care if im am absent again - please tell me i did the right thing cutting away all the dead plant ??? I have before and after pics if that'll help :(

      Delete
    3. Hi! Thank you for your question ))) I think cutting away all the dead plant is a right resolution ))) However it's my "IMHO" )) I recommend to ask another horticulturists )))

      Delete
  3. I really love your blog.. Very nice colors & theme.

    Did you develop this site yourself? Please reply back as I'm hoping to
    create my very own site and would like to
    know where you got this from or exactly what the theme is named.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, dear! It's "Simple" theme from the blogspot's collection + pic from blogspot's collection )))

      Delete
  4. It's really a great and helpful piece of info. I am satisfied that you shared this helpful info with us.
    Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the transposition method of transplanting?

    ReplyDelete