Monday, June 22, 2015

How to grow a Miniature Cambria orchid indoor: my yellow Thumbelina

This amazing orchid looks like a toy. The plant is smaller than a palm. Its flowers have size of a coin. It's a Miniature Cambria. This orchid is not a common houseplant. However care of the green friend is not difficult. Today I'm going to tell you about how to grow a Miniature Cambria orchid indoor.


A Miniature Cambria



I bought this plant recently. The seller suggested me to choose one orchid of two. (The flowers had yellow and pink colors). I couldn't make a choice because the orchids were beautiful. "Yellow or pink? Pink or yellow?" - I had hesitated in my choice. At last I decided. "I'd like to buy the yellow orchid!" - I said. The seller packed up the plant. And the phyto-Thumbelina has settled down on my windowsill.


The orchids are talking

Care of this miniature orchid is the same as care of a Cambria with standard size. The "Motherland" of these plants is greenhouses because a Cambria was selected from other orchids (from a Odontoglossum, a Miltonia, a Oncidium, a Cochlioda and a Brassia). This green friend is adapted to home conditions. What does the houseplant demand?

Howeara Chian-Tzy Lovely (My yellow Thumbelina)

This plant prefers diffused light, watering by soft warm water, high humidity (about 40%) and room temperature. I water my yellow Thumbelina once a week. However I' m going to reduce frequency of watering in Fall and in Winter.


My lovely mini orchid is flowering
My Miniature orchid is growing in a commercial soil (I suppose it's a coco soil). Nevertheless I plan to transplant the mini Cambria in a bark mix.

This plant doesn't require a rest period. Therefore a Cambia is able to bloom in any season. 


P.S. Oh, friends! My reader, an orchids lover, said me lately that my houseplant is Howeara Chian-Tzy Lovely! (The plant is hybrid of Leachilus, Oncidium and Rodreiguezia orchids). So, my cambria has a name. The name is Howeara!!!

2 comments:

  1. You most likely have a --- 'Howeara chian tzy lovely there. It is an intergeneric hybrid commonly sold as Cambria. So yes Thumbelina might be a lovely name too... Hope your plant is growing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! :)))) The orchid is flowering now!!! :)))) I'm very happy!!! :)))

      Delete