Saturday, March 28, 2015

How to wake a Caladium: an Elephant ear plant in winter and in spring

A Caladium also known as an Elephant ear plant. But I call this houseplant "big heart" because huge leaves of this tropical phytoalien look like colorful hearts.

Some of plant lovers don't want to grow a Caladium at home because this green friend has a rest period in fall and in winter. (The top part of this plant dies. We should keep the bulbs and wait for spring, when Caladium bulbs wake up). Nevertheless I think it's good quality of this green person. 

A Caladium (an Elephant ear plant).
Many of tropical houseplants are afraid of dry air. Unfortunately they often wither in our houses in winter. However an Elephant ear plant can sleep in a pot and doesn't suffer of dry air in a room. Today I'd like to tell you about how to keep a Caladium bulbs in winter and how to wake a Calladium in spring.


I'm going to share with you my own experience of an Elephant ear plant cultivation indoor.

The bulbs of my Caladium sprouted in the soil at a shade place!

My gorgeous green friend started to fall asleep in last August. His leaves had been withering little by little. I knew this member of Aroid (Araceae) family of plants has a rest period and didn't worry about it. However I reduced frequency of watering. 


When the leaves died I located the pot with Caladium bulbs in a shade place. I wet the soil from time to time because the substrate shouldn't be dry. 

Once they will be big Elephant ears...

Experts say that the perfect temperature for the bulbs is 55.4-66.4 degrees Fahrenheit (13-18 degrees Celsius). But I kept their with room temperature. And they have survived!



4 weeks ago I noticed the bulbs sprouted in the soil. I transplanted
their in a new pot and located on my windowsill. One day the mini "shoots" will became big colorful Elephant ears or huge hearts...


The new leaves.
P.S. (5. 04. 2015).

My Caladium is growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment