Thursday, December 11, 2014

A Miniature rose: buying and adaptation

A rose is called Queen of flowers. In order that the queen governs at your flower kingdom you ought to choose a healthy plant. Today I would like to share my experience of how to buy a Miniature rose and adapt it at home.

A Miniature rose: buying in a flower shop

My red Miniature rose in a pot

1. A rose's flower is a unearthly beauty, indeed. However first of all I look at the leaves and the stems. They should not be dry, yellowed, rusty and dark. These symptoms indicate that the plant wither. The rose care will be very difficult in this case. Unfortunately, the plant may die. I never buy a wither rose though I grow six this plants at my home (I'm rose fan!). Especially I'm afraid of a white "flour" on the leaves. It indicates on rose powdery mildew. Usually I choose a rose with green healthy leaves.

2. I always try to buy a Miniature rose with shoots. This green queen is a powerful and viable.

3. When the weather is frosty even the short distance between the shop and your car may be fatal for a Miniature rose. If you going to buy the flower in winter, please, ask the seller to pack up the plant. If the soil is dry it will be perfect condition for transportation of houseplants in cool season. The rose's roots will not freeze in this case. If the soil is wet a good package is able to defend the roots of cold.

A Miniature rose: adaptation at home

My white Miniature rose in a pot

1. Some of rose lovers advise to make a mini hothouse for a Miniature rose after the buying. I never do it. I think that a healthy plant doesn't need hothouses. On the contrary, a rose without this "device" accommodates to home conditions better than a plant in a mini hothouse, IMHO. Also I never cut off the fresh flowers and buds.

In the shopping day I locate my miniature roses at a shading place. Of course, I water and spray the plants. Gradually I train my green friends to bright light during 2-3 days.

2.  Then I locate the flowers at light place. I continue to water and spray my green queens daily.

My red Miniature rose is flowering
In period of adaptation a Miniature rose might shed leaves and buds. Don't worry about it! If the stem stays green, the queen in a pot doesn't wither. The green person will grow and flower.

3. In 2-3 weeks after the buying the roses are ready to transplantation. We should to transplant our green friends without fail because usually in shops Miniature roses grow in peat soil. 


This kind of soil is unsuitable for our new flowers. I will tell you later how to transplant a Miniature rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment